New Era for US Privacy Laws: California and More
14 November 2019
Latham & Watkins, London
New legal obligations for companies and new rights for consumers.
Date:14 November 2019
Registration - 09.00 - 09.30
Conference - 09.30 - 13.00
Workshop - 13.45 - 15.15 (Optional and no additional cost, but places are limited)
Location: Latham & Watkins, London
In the United States, California’s Consumer Privacy Act takes the lead, as it did with the California Data Breach Notification Law in 2002 which influenced similar laws in the other 49 states. The new California law is due to enter into force on 1 January 2020 and is expected to have a similar ripple effect.
If your company does business in California or elsewhere in the US, then by attending this conference in London, you will be well placed to understand:
- the provisions of this new law
- how it will work
- its duties on companies
- its rights for consumers
- its likely impact in other states,
- how it will work alongside the existing federal privacy laws, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and
- the chances of a federal consumer privacy law in the next Congressional legislative session, its possible scope and how it would work alongside the state laws.
While the California Consumer Privacy Act has been compared with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation, there are important differences.
All of the above and more will be covered at this conference.
Latham & Watkins California and Washington DC based partners will explain the US privacy laws and the future framework, while a UK based partner will explain similarities/differences with the GDPR. We invite company perspectives.
For those who can stay on and join us for the post-conference workshop, we will focus on the practical steps needed to develop a plan for US compliance and how you can leverage your GDPR plan effectively.
Latham & Watkins speakers:
- Gail Crawford, Partner, London
- Michael Rubin, Partner, San Francisco
- Robert Blamires, Counsel, San Francisco
- Jennifer Archie, Partner, Washington D.C.
This event qualifies for up to 4.75 CPE Credits
|Single registration||£400 + VAT per person|
|Multiple registrations from the same organisation||£350 + VAT per person|
To register click BOOK NOW at the top of this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our thanks to
Our Media Partner