Student Essay Competition
Winners of PL&B’s Conference Essay Competition
Congratulations to the winners of PL&B’s Conference Essay Competition (click titles to read the essays):
1st Navigating the Right to Data Portability in the EU Data Protection Regulation at the Intersection of EU Law
By Wenlong Li, PhD Candidate/Tutor, Faculty of Law, University of Edinburgh
2nd Making Privacy Law Compliance a Competitive Advantage
By Alvin Cheung, University College, Oxford taking a BA in Jurisprudence
They have won a free place at PL&B’s 32nd International Conference.
Three runners up have won a free one year subscription to PL&B International Report.
Thank you to all the students who submitted entries, which were all of a high standard!
We received entries from France, Greece, Kenya, the Netherlands, Tanzania and the United Kingdom.
Win a free place at our 32nd Annual International Conference!
The winning students will enjoy the unique friendly summer school atmosphere while mingling with Data Protection Commissioners, privacy managers, specialist lawyers and academics from many countries.
Previous students who have participated at this conference as rapporteurs have gone on to positions in law firms, companies and universities.
PL&B invites students aged 18+ of any subject and country to submit by 10 May an essay in English of 1,500 - 2,000 words on one of the following subjects:
- Making privacy law compliance a competitive advantage
- Making Privacy by Design a driver of business success
- The prospects for competition law, consumer law and privacy law helping individuals pursue their GDPR rights
- How to communicate effectively that free apps mean consequential tracking
- What impact should GDPR have beyond the EU?
- Smart or creepy?
Two winners will win a place at GDPR’s influence ripples around the world, PL&B’s 32nd Annual International Conference.
The prize will include meeting the world’s privacy law elite and:
- Registration for all 3 days - 1 to 3 July at St. John’s College, Cambridge
- Accommodation on Monday 1 July and Tuesday 2 July
- All meals at the conference
- Travel to and from the conference from anywhere in the world
- Acknowledgement at the conference
- Having their essays published in Privacy Laws & Business Reports, the world’s longest established international privacy law publication, and/or PL&B's website.
In exchange, the winners will agree to play a helpful role at the conference by providing assistance in sessions and writing up two articles based on conference sessions.
- The winning essays will be decided by the PL&B Editorial Team consisting of Laura Linkomies, Editor; Tom Cooper, Deputy Editor, and me, the Founder and Chief Executive of Privacy Laws & Business.
- The PL&B Editorial Team will have the discretion to publish the articles in PL&B Reports and/or on PL&B’s website.
- Student applicants must verify their course of study and university or college.
- 10 May – Deadline for submission of essays
- 31 May – Announcement of winners
- 1-3 July – Acknowledgement of winners at PL&B’s 32nd Annual International Conference and publication of the winning essays online
Seize this outstanding win-win opportunity to make an impression on the international privacy laws community and submit your essay by 10 May to email@example.com.